Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sidewinders OTT Ranch March 19th










Sandstorm at OTT Ranch!  This describes the last race from start to finish.  This property was pretty fun last season b/c it had rained just before the race so the sand was a little “god prepped”, but I’ll have to admit I don’t think anyone really liked the race this year because it had not rained in months so it was like riding in hell with the temps in the 90’s.  To be able to finish this race was more about endurance and balance through sand rather than speed. 

I took off, was 3rd off the line, and trailed number 2 for a little ways on the first lap just to put the pressure on.  She made a mistake and got hung in a deep sand hole on an uphill and that’s where I passed her and never looked back.  I was able to catch up to first place and trailed her for a bit coming in at 1 second behind on the first lap.  After that first lap I held back on pushing myself since I still had a ways to go and was already worn out from battling the sand.  I came through scoring after the fourth lap and had 4 minutes left so I took off on the last lap and it seemed as if nobody was out there.  Turns out there were not many people out there on that last lap b/c most had pulled off.  Only first place and I did that 5th lap the other 3 girls had either pulled off early or didn’t make it through before the time was out.  I finished 2nd in women’s A and 14th overall out of 56 riders in that race.  Looking back at the scoring, this race was one of a kind I suppose b/c all the women held their position on every lap through scoring.

It is going to be a tough battle this season of the 125 2stroke versus the 250 4stroke.  Strength and endurance training is what I have been working on this year to be able to hang in there and ride smooth throughout the race season.  So far, it seems like it has helped.  This next race will be a super fun one at Goertz Ranch!

No comments:

Post a Comment